Sunless tanning products emerged in 1960. The first one, QT or Quick Tanning Lotion, produced a quite non realistic orange color. Since then sunless tanning products (also called self tanners) has evolved tremendously, mainly thanks to the introduction of spray and airbrush tanning. All of the ingredients are dermatologically tested and approved since 1960. The substances are proven harmless. Sunless tanning is not dangerous in any way..
The most effective sunless tanning ingredient is DHA (dihydroxyacetone). DHA is a colorless sugar that interacts with dead cells located in the upper layer of the skin (epidermis). As the sugar binds with the dead skin cells, a color change occurs. Erythrulose, also a sugar, is another important substance in the sunless tanning solution. When used in combination with DHA it provides a longer lasting and more natural looking tan than DHA alone. The tan usually lasts five to seven days depending on your skin. Our formula is quick drying, nearly odor free and creates a gorgeous bronze glow on all skin tones. Unlike lower quality formulas which increase the DHA levels, we use more expensive colorants to darken skin ton with no orange tint. Our base of organic aloe vera gel soothes the skin while enabling the active ingredients to adhere well to ensure an even tan.
Just like an ordinary tan achieved thru sunbathing, the sunless tan will fade. Airbrush tans typically last 5-7 days depending on care and your skin. The reason is simple: Every day, millions of dead skin cells are sloughed off or worn away from the surface of your skin. In fact, every 35 to 45 days, you have an entirely new outer skin layer (epidermis). This is why the tan will gradually fade. As the dead cells are worn away, so is the tan. Fading of this kind applies to all tans, both sunless and real. To maintain your tan, simply get sprayed 2-3 times a month.
Exfoliation is key to receiving the best color and overall appearance from a Spray Tan. It will also allow your tan to last longer and look like a "sun" tan. You can begin preparing your skin weeks before or as little as two days before your application. Each one of us knows our skin best, so if you tend to have dry skin, mature or sun damaged skin, begin prepping sooner than two days. You should use products that work for your skin condition. If your skin is drier, use products that will hydrate your skin. If you have oily skin, use products appropriate for oily skin. The goal is to use a product that normalizes our skins Ph so that you can obtain the best "sunless" tan possible. If you use lotions that smell good do not use on your skin when getting a spray tan. They will continue to make your skin smell good, but will dry the skin leaving this condition very noticeable when Spray Tanned.
NOTE: If you recently have been in the sun and have burned your skin, wait until your skin heals and you are not peeling. Spray Tanning over peeling skin does not look good, you will get tan but the dead skin coming off will leave white patches where the Spray Tan used to be. Your skin needs to be in prime condition for optimal results of a Spray Tan.
Q. How do I prepare for my customized airbrush tan?
A. Before you are scheduled to receive your tan your body should be clean and dry with no soap residue to interfere with your tan. *Avoid bar soap* as it leaves undetected patches on your skin. Exfoliate with a non oil based exfoliant prior to your appointment to remove all loose and dead skin cells.
Come to your tanning appointment with no lotion, deodorant or perfume on your skin. Lotions can keep the spray tan from adhering and acts as barrier on the skin. Shave, wax and receive pedicures the day before!
Q. What should I wear to my appointment?
A. Select dark loose clothing, bathing suit or underwear. Flip Flops are recommended to wear home. Please NO jeans as they cause unintended exfoliation.
*Stay away from lotions with lots of fragrance and baby oils. Fragrance dries the skin; oil leaves a residue which can keep the spray tan from adhering properly.
**Do not apply lotion, makeup or deodorant the day of your treatment.
Pre Treatment Instructions:
1. After the application, remember to limit your activities, wear loose clothing (women try to go without a bra for the evening to avoid creating strap lines), and wait to shower for at least 6-8 hours. The longer you wait to shower the more time the DHA has to absorb into your skin and the longer your tan will last. No physical activities that induce sweating or water contact.
2. First Day of Your Spray Tan--Can you believe your amazing tan? You will shower and moisturize then go out and enjoy your beautiful and healthy "Sunless" Spray Tan!
3. When showering, gently use your palms for lathering in lieu of a loofah or wash cloth. Shower with luke warm water- hot water, hot tubs & sauna’s, chlorine & salt water will reduce the length of your tan.
4. You must remember to moisturize at least one to two times daily to maintain the best result of a spray tan. Applying moisturizer at night before you go to bed offers the best result. If your skin looks patchy -- dark patches between breasts, in belly button, on feet or anywhere else, that means you need to exfoliate! Your skin is shedding dead skin that is visible because it is tanned with DHA. To even this out take a shower (Not a bath this will create more patches if not remove your tan altogether) and exfoliate these areas gently until it evens out. Moisturize afterwards.
5. If you wear perfume put it on your clothes and NOT on your skin. The alcohol in perfume will exfoliate your skin and could lead to blotchiness on your chest area.
If your skin looks cracked or lizard like -- You are not applying enough moisturizer. And if you are moisturizing once a day, step it up to twice a day.
Post Treatment Instructions:
Design and copyright by Golden Girls Airbrush Tanning © 2011
Call 714-514-7200 to speak directly with an airbrush tanning professional today.